Monday, March 3, 2014

Winter Round-Up

It's definitely been a different sort of winter. The cold and snow have meant that my feeders are constantly hopping (literally, at least where the Juncos are concerned). And the extensive ice on the Lakes and other water bodies has led to some unusual(ly abundant) sightings on the Speed River through Guelph. The forests, in comparison, have been almost completely silent... last winter I haunted the Guelph Arboretum for the Bohemian Waxwings, Barred Owl and other species, this year I'm lucky to get a few Chickadees in the same places. Still, Guelph is nothing if not generous in its park system, so instead of giving up and staying indoors, I followed the river and still managed to get a few lifers in the cold months.

 Lesser Scaup, Water St. Park - Feb 24 photo lesserscaup2_zps1ce2df29.jpgLesser Scaup, Water St. Park - Feb 24 photo lesserscaup1_zps8fd43682.jpg
Lesser Scaup

Greater Scaup - Crane Park Feb 13 photo scaup_feb13_zpsbbfce72d.jpg
Greater Scaup
(...there should be some kind of birding merit badge for figuring out Lesser vs. Greater Scaup, seriously. In fact, why aren't there birding merit badges in general?)

Common Goldeneye @ Kolb Park, Kitchener, Feb 3 photo goldeneye_zpsdf0dd70c.jpg
Common Goldeneye
(...yeah, I know, pretty common, but it had still somehow managed to elude me until now.)

Long-tailed Duck @ Crane Park, Feb 14 photo lontailed_zps07ed936b.jpg
Long-tailed Duck (female)

Mallards, Water St. Park - Feb 24 photo mallards_zps3a9d0f1a.jpg
...okay, the Mallards were not life birds, obviously. But these lovely gals get an honorable mention. I hadn't been standing still for more than a few seconds, looking at something else on the river, when they waddled up calm as you please and plopped down on the snow not three feet away from me. Didn't seem terribly bothered by my presence, although I still made an effort to back away slowly when it was time to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment