Sunday, March 23, 2014

Admitting Defeat

Yeah, that whole "20 different eBird hotspots in a month" challenge isn't going to happen for me.  I should probably have known that I would exhaust all of my 'easy' spots very quickly, and then run into the problem where my other usually reliable spots would have limited access this time of year, or just... not really be worth the trip.  I wish this particular challenge had happened a month or two from now when all of those forest tracts with the snowed-in parking lots would be open and full of warblers, and the little ponds along the roadsides would actually be thawed out.

So I am conceding, and will go back to walking some local trails along the river until such time as winter finally releases its grasp for good, and migration kicks into high gear.

Today I went back out to Crane Park, where I got my first Great Blue Heron of the year, and finally found a few of the Hooded Mergansers that the locals have been mentioning.  The hoodies were all playing shy and keeping their crests slicked down, which made them look a little goofy.

Hooded Mergansers, Crane Park, March 23 photo hooded_merg_zpse2786152.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment