Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The One That Got Away

This afternoon's commute was a six-hawk drive, a new record for me (to provide context: on a good day I can usually spot three).  The really surprising part, though, is that all but one were on the stretch of Highway 401 through Kitchener.  Those Kitchener hawks, man, they are on the ball... stocking up on this nice mild day to get through the snowstorm that's supposed to hit tonight.

Five of the six were definitely Red-tailed.  The first one, though... it looked uniformly pale on the belly, no dark band, and the back looked more slaty-grey than brown.  Tail was narrow and seemed disproportionately long, compared to what I'd expect from a Red-tailed.  Impossible to know for certain from that one quick look as I barrelled down the highway, of course, but I wonder if it could have been a Northern Goshawk?

...and this right here is a large part of why I don't really like car birding.  Inevitably, I will see something interesting when there is no possible way to stop and take a closer look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment