Monday, March 10, 2014

Size Does Matter

Had another visit from our friendly neighbourhood birdfeeder stalker yesterday....

Sharp-shinned Hawk, March 9 photo sharpie2_zps920dd4df.jpg

A Sharp-shinned Hawk, based mainly on the size (somewhere between a Blue Jay and a Mourning Dove) but also on the way it looks like it has a small head and no neck.

Interestingly, while it was sitting up in the tree it looked bigger, and I wasn't sure whether it was a sharpie or a Cooper's Hawk instead.  Luckily she(?) came down onto the fence so I could get a better size comparison.  Still, it made me wonder if the coop I was sure I saw the other day was actually a coop after all, or whether looking up at it in the tree was giving me the same weird perspective issues and making me think it was bigger than it actually was.

Sharp-shinned Hawk, March 9 photo sharpie1_zpsac393d62.jpg
(the Sharp-shinned from yesterday)

Cooper's Hawk @ home - Feb 14 photo coopers_zps4a428135.jpg
(the Cooper's from last month)

I mean, looking at those photos now, they could even be the same bird.  I did see a couple of crows on the same branch as the "Cooper's" later that day, and they looked about the same size even with the forced perspective, so I'm going to stick with my ID based on that (sharpies would never be as big as a crow).  Still, sharpies and coops are notoriously hard to tell apart, so I'll probably be second-guessing myself over them for a long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment