Sunday, September 25, 2016

Road Trip

I find it amusing that I completely coincidentally mirrored many members of the Ontario Field Ornithologists this weekend. Apparently they had an event in Kingston, preceded by a field trip to Presqu'ile Provincial Park on Friday. I was in Kingston for the weekend on completely unrelated business, and took advantage of the trip east to stop at Presqu'ile on the way.

Of course, Friday morning was cool and windy and, eventually, rainy, so my birding at the park had very limited success. I thought I was going to get skunked completely out at Owen Point, but as I was working my way out onto the point itself to get a better view of the islands, a small flock came in to land on the beach nearby. Mostly Sanderlings, with a couple of Dunlin mixed in and four Black-bellied Plover (I really wanted them to be American Golden Plover, since I haven't seen those before, but my hopes were dashed when I saw the black wing-pits in flight).

Sanderling (left) and Dunlin (right)

Herring Gull, singing the song of its people

Owen Point, with bird-covered islands beyond

Sanderlings chasing the waves

Black-bellied Plover

I hit up the Marsh Boardwalk, too, because apparently I am a sucker for punishment. Similarly not much activity, but I did get good looks at a small group of Wood Ducks, and Wood Ducks are always worthwhile.

Thankfully, the rest of the weekend was gorgeous. I didn't get to look at any birds Saturday or Sunday, but the Kingston waterfront was spectacular nonetheless.





No comments:

Post a Comment