Thursday, September 15, 2016

Creepy Crawlies

I suppose it was inevitable that as I started to look for insects, I found more and more spiders as well. Which doesn't always sit well with me. But if I can look at them from an objective naturalist's viewpoint (and keep them from crawling on me), I can appreciate that some of them are pretty darned cool looking. Like this Shamrock Orbweaver, also called a Pumpkin Spider because of its occasionally orange colouration.


I snapped the photo below on one of my job sites earlier this week, aiming for the Cabbage White. Upon uploading the photo later I noticed something down and a little to the right of the butterfly...


There's a big Banded Garden Spider (a close relative of the Big Sneaky Yellow Spiders from a few posts ago) just waiting. That Cabbage White doesn't know how close it came to being lunch that day. Here's some better shots of the same species from a site I was at today:



And because I like posting photos (and possibly because we all needed a palate cleanser from spiders), here's a Northern Crescent - differentiated from the very similar Pearl Crescent by the lack of white markings on the hindwing, and apparently also the large amount of orange on the tip of the antennae.


No comments:

Post a Comment