Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Interesting Times

So the first point of business is that I'm doing another fundraiser for the Bruce Trail:

Hike-a-thon 2018!

It's not as ambitious as the last one; the only requirement is that I go hiking in the month of October, which I was going to do anyway. Going to be starting this weekend, in fact, with an overnight stay up near Collingwood so I can knock out hikes 4 and 5 of my Blue Mountains club end-to-end. Fingers crossed the forecast stays good. I don't expect to get the top prize for most kilometers hiked, since I'll be limited to weekend trips, but October is always a beautiful time to hike so it's still a win.

Second point of business, as a personal update: I have a new job, starting in a couple of weeks. Well, the job itself will be basically the same (I think) but it's with a new company. And it's in my own city so after over a decade of driving I will have no more commute. Change is scary, so I'm still nervous about the whole thing, but I'd have been really, really dumb to turn down this opportunity. Hopefully it all works out.

And finally, on a lighter note, I'm already starting to get itchy for another vacation. Am halfway considering going back to Scotland and somehow hopping around the outer islands... really, the way to do that would be via something like this "Scotland Slowly" cruise, being on a boat would greatly simplify getting around and allow access to places with limited to no human presence. However, I have to wonder if I'd regret not being out and about in the local colour, so to speak... being aboard a cruise ship seems kind of isolating from the place you're trying to see? And getting all your meals on the ship means not getting to sample local restaurants. I'm undecided if this is really the route I want to take with that trip, although the whole point is moot for at least a year; it's probably inadvisable to ask for a chunk of time off in June at the new job in my very first year, since that's typically the busiest time in my particular profession. Next year might have to be more low-key, small local trips or something in the off season.

I can start dreaming for 2020, though, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment