Friday, January 5, 2018

2017 Recap

In 2017 I participated in several bioblitzes, hiked some lovely trails, and travelled eastward to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. The lattermost item in that list was obviously the most exciting in terms of new opportunities to see stuff, though all adventures are exciting in their own way.

My trip was intended to take me to Machias Seal Island to see Atlantic Puffins up close and personal, but nasty weather that day meant the trip didn’t happen. Luckily, I had a second chance in the form of the Bird Islands Important Bird Area (link), which didn’t get me quite as close a view but certainly didn’t disappoint. It was a beautiful day to be out and a very pleasant boat trip out of Englishtown, highly recommended to anyone who plans to be in that area.

I mean. Puffins.






Cape Breton Highlands National Park was also stunningly gorgeous, and I would definitely go back to hike more of the trails there. The Bog Boardwalk trail was short but jam-packed with interesting plants. And the views from the Skyline Trail couldn't be beat.

Bog Boardwalk Trail
Dragon's Mouth

I saw a grand total of 11 new bird species in 2017 (and a whole lot of the 'old' species, too). Lark Sparrow and Dickcissel were locals - the Lark Sparrow was a famous visitor to downtown Toronto (for some reason it really liked hanging around a tiny patch of scrub along a rail line), and there were Dickcissels all over the place in southern Ontario this past summer. The trip east got me Nelson's Sparrow, Ring-necked Pheasant, Common Eider, Common Murre, Razorbill, Black Guillemot, Atlantic Puffin, and Black-legged Kittiwake. Finally, I saw my first Bonaparte's Gull on a Nature Guelph group trip down to Hawk Cliff this fall - not a rare bird by any means, just one of those ones that has somehow eluded me until now.

And of course I'm already plotting my next big adventure, to take place end of June - beginning of July 2018. Stay tuned!

Savannah Sparrow
Cobra Clubtail
British Soldier Lichen (and others)
Bald Eagle

No comments:

Post a Comment