Monday, April 14, 2014

Checking In

Not much to report from the last couple of weeks.  Not because there is nothing going on (far from it; migration is definitely underway) but because none of it makes for very good storytelling. Still, I wouldn't want you all to think I was slacking off....

The warmer temperatures have brought about the expected shift.  The river sites that the birds (and I) favoured over the winter are now flooded and fast-moving, not terribly appealing, while the forests and ponds that were silent for months are now singing like mad.  I really have missed the obnoxious shrieking of the Red-winged Blackbirds; they are my harbingers of spring.

The exposed ponds have only just started to open up, even though the snow around them is long gone.  In the space of a week Niebaur's Pond on Wellington 32 went from hosting a couple of Mallards to providing a stopover for 30+ Ring-necked Ducks, a Red-necked Grebe, a couple of Blue-winged Teal, and apparently some Ruddy Ducks (although I didn't see those when I stopped by). Most of the forest ponds and sheltered wetlands I think are still a bit iced in, but it shouldn't be long now if the weather holds. Which... it isn't supposed to, but I am determined to remain optimistic.

On my third try, I finally spotted the Horned Grebe that was haunting Riverside Park. It was diving constantly when I found it, only surfacing for a matter of seconds before going under again, so I wonder if I just wasn't patient enough on my previous visits. It certainly would have been easy to miss if I wasn't looking in just the right direction at just the right moment.

Horned Grebe, Riverside Park, April 6 photo hornedgrebe_zps659297ac.jpg

I didn't have as much luck with the Greater White-fronted Goose that was reported north of Guelph. I saw some Tundra Swans at that location (I think they were all Tundras, anyway, although admittedly I haven't yet mastered Tundra vs. Trumpeter ID), a few Northern Pintails, and of course a boatload of Canada Geese, but no White-fronted.  Ah, well; next time, maybe.

This weekend, weather permitting, I hope to revisit Niebaur's Pond and maybe the Correctional Ponds in Guelph, and take another walk through the Arboretum in search of early warblers. Fingers crossed tomorrow's cold snap will be the last one of the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment